Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Like a hawk dropping in on some prey...


Interesting subject line, right?  I don't even know if hawks are predators.  I should ask my 8-year old nephew...he loves hawks.  In fact, his family is a Nebraska Husker family, but he has declared himself an Iowa Hawkeye fan many times simply because "he just really likes hawks."  

His name is Aren.  He is also a boat captain, as you can see.

  Well, the story behind today's post's name happened today at the doctor's office.  Our little Jude is TWO MONTHS OLD today!  


Two months old means lots of smiles, coos, eyes tracking across the midline, new clothes to fit into, lots of tummy time, and sleeping less during the day and more at night!

It also means a doctor's appointment with the 

Big

Bad

SHOTS!


Yes, it was time for his first round of immunizations.  No, this picture wasn't taken at the doctor's -- it's just an everyday fussy picture and that lower lip KILLS ME!  

I was nervous and worried all morning about these shots.  I texted my friend for advice and I asked my sister what to expect.  They told me it would be okay, that he would do great and I shouldn't worry.  I wasn't so much worried about the actual shots as I was worried about Jude's reaction.  I hate it when he is in pain and I wish with all of my heart that I could take it for him.

But, the time came.  Tom was able to come along with us on his last day of curriculum writing (thank you God) and we went over to the Regency clinic.

Jude made it through his checkup with flying colors--here are his 2-month stats:

Head: 16 inches (90th percentile--HUGE BRAIN!)
Weight: 10 lbs. 5 oz. (25th percentile)
Height: 22.5 inches (5th percentile)

Tom always said "I hope he has my height and her looks."  Well, it kinda looks like he got my height and his head size...LOL!  

After measuring and checking reflexes and all the other good stuff, it was time.


I've never been afraid of needles, and shots don't bother me at all.  However, Daddy HATES them...


...and I think he was actually much more worried than I was!

Jude got his shots.  And he screamed "like a hawk dropping in on some prey," said my husband.  

I couldn't take a picture.  His poor little face was so distraught.  I thought I'd want to cry but I actually just felt like a Mama Bear.  My instinct was leaning toward "FIGHT" rather than "SAD."  (No worries, I didn't claw out the nurse's eyes or anything.)

I got him fed immediately after his shots were over, and we gave him a dose of Tylenol.  My mom came over to snuggle him while I worked on grad homework...


..and he had a pretty nice afternoon.  No more than 5 minutes here and there of crying.   He's sleeping now and I'm hoping it will be his first long stretch of the night.

I LOVE BEING A MOMMY!

Happy Tuesday!  Love, Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment