Thursday, August 28, 2014

O'Doyle RULES!!!

I think Billy Madison should be every teacher's required back-to-school movie to watch every fall.  I'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it.  Back to school, back to school...


If you haven't seen Billy Madison, we can't be friends.

Just kidding.  But please watch it or at least come over to my house so you can watch it with us.  It's a classic!

Yes, back to school it is, and the school year officially started for me today with my two buildings full of well-dressed, (mostly) cheerful kids.  

I was terrified of starting the new year and trying to balance all the things...Jude, daycare, a new house, a lot more square footage to clean, my two schools to teach at, and a student teacher. Luckily, I have a sweet little baby boy who is cuddly and happy in the mornings, the best-of-the-best daycare provider who leaves me with not a single worry, a type-A husband who is a great help in the house, and a hardworking, energetic student teacher.  Things are off to a great start.  

You know that saying, "it feels like we never left"?  That's what I felt this morning as I started my day at Lincoln school with the fifth grade kids.  It honestly felt like I hadn't missed a single beat.  I did notice, however, it felt different from last year...it felt good to sing.  And not just sing a little song, but really SING.  Engaging the breath, using full tone, feeling my core muscles support the voice.  Last year at this time I was pregnant and nauseous.  After the nausea went away I was growing.  The nausea, the baby bump and the hormones all messed with my vocal cords and my ability to project sound.  So today was kind of a voice revival.  It felt amazing.  

It also felt great to be with my Harding (K-4) kids again.  They were happy to see me, too--we missed each other--and we had a great time singing, playing and dancing already on their first day!  Whenever I tell people what I do, 9 times out of 10 their reaction is "oh how fun!"  They are right; it is the most fun job in the world. 

All of my fears have subsided.  The balancing act will be tough at times, like when I run out of the house without lunch (which was today), but everything will be fine.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  And, I love love LOVE my job.  I had forgotten how much I love it.  I do miss my baby boy and I will miss him every day, but I really struck a gold mine with my line of work.  LOL...not a literal gold mine...I'm definitely still just making a teacher's salary :)

I like to share funny stories from my classroom so keep your eyes here and once in a while you'll have a laugh with me!  Today's funniest was in a first grade class.  I have a section of risers in my room with a bunch of instruments set up on it, and the gong is on the top step.  One of my little girls pointed to it and asked, "Is that a Chinese bong?"  HA!!!  I told her "yeah, but it's a gong...don't call it a bong."  Can't you just see her going home and telling her parents "My music teacher let us use the bong today."  Hahahahaaaaa... That would be like the time we had "marinara sauce" on the lunch menu and a fourth grader announced it over the intercom as "marijuana sauce." 

I hope you all have a great school year.  Cheers!

Love, Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment