Monday, September 15, 2014

The Best One Yet

My 33rd birthday was the best one yet!

I joked with my coworkers and husband that all I wanted for my birthday was a NAP...an uninterrupted 3-hour sleep session on our poofy gray couch with the Hawkeye fleece blanket.

Jude caught a little cold and hadn't been sleeping well for a week or so.  It's rough when your all-night sleeper goes back to waking up two or three times a night...I felt like we were reverting back to newborn days.




By the time my birthday came along on Friday the 12th I was WIPED OUT.  However, no amount of tiredness is going to keep me from having fun on a dinner date followed by seriously fun quality time with friends!!

Tom and I went to one of our favorite restaurants, Chop.  I ordered my once-a-year Filet Oscar.  I might have to change my rule to twice a year or more, because oh.my.good.heavens.

I FORGOT HOW DELICIOUS FILET OSCAR IS.

(imagine I just climbed up on my kitchen table and shouted that out for effect)

(now I'm climbing off the table)

It really is THAT good.  A perfectly tender and lean filet topped with crab meat, hollandaise sauce and asparagus.  Greek pasta on the side and a healthy pour of Malbec.  You should drop everything and get to Chop NOW and order this meal.

After I shook myself out of my steak-induced stupor, Tom and I went over to the Historic Park Inn and met up with some of our nearest and dearest.  I love, love, love this hotel...if you've never been there, you should go check it out.


My friend Julie gave me a grab bag of birthday fun-ness as soon as we walked in, which included a sparkly tiara, a pink hair extension, birthday girl button, glow bracelets and a My Little Pony eraser that doubled as a perfect garnish for a martini glass.  LOL!!  

This is my Kati.  She is my genius hairstylist and helped me make sure my pink polyester hair was properly attached.  :)


As the night went on, I decided everyone needed a picture wearing the crown.  As if we needed any more proof that I hang with the coolest folks ever, here is the Gallery of Princesses:


















(if Ryan's lovely wife Heidi is reading this, we forgot to get your tiara shot!)





We were blessed to come home to a sleeping baby and my amazing parents who had sat with him for the evening.  I really wish my parents lived closer -- and they're not even very far away!  Is it true for all of us that our parents just become more and more valuable to us as we get older?

On Saturday, Jude woke up and ate at his normal 5:30 time, then went back to sleep.  I gladly joined him in going back to bed.  I checked on him at 7, and he was still out.  I checked again at 8, and again at 8:30.  Believe it or not, my adorable little guy slept until 9:00.  

WAHOOOOOOOOO!!!!  Mama got her SLEEP!  Thank you Jude...best birthday present ever.  

Later on that morning we met my dear friend, Katie, and her 4-week old Kylie at Cabin Coffee.  The babies bonded and discussed their plans for the upcoming MCHS girls' basketball season (Katie is the JV girls coach!):


And then we had fun watching the Iowa/Iowa State game at our neighbors' house! 


Here is Jude with his newest BFF, Dan.  I'm noticing that sometimes my son finds a particular human that he just loves -- he stares at them, smiles and giggles at them, and basically just attaches himself to them.  It's so precious!!

I wish these fun weekends would just keep going, but I guess work has to happen between them in order for us to really appreciate the special times.  :)

Have a wonderful week everyone!

Love, Betsy









No comments:

Post a Comment