Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Morning in my Head

When I started my blog, I thought "this is going to be great, I'll write every couple of days and I'll be able to remember all of Jude's milestones and our fun family memories......"


Every couple of days?  Ha.  Ha.  Hahahahahaha!

That was before we bought a house and moved in the weekend before school started.  While trying to adjust to taking our boy to daycare and doing new routines and dealing with overgrown landscaping and big purchases (say it with me...BRAND NEW WASHER AND DRYER).  Tom and I are completely nuts...but here we are, and we are still breathing.  And smiling.  And LOVING where we are.  :)


But, gosh it's a challenge and a half to balance it all.  My nature is to be rather, um...relaxed most of the time.  Structure and organization can be hard for me -- just ask my husband.  To me, life is a big adventure and I tend to get distracted by the "fun and interesting" rather than concentrating on "logic and sense."  So, yes--the new season of life has been awesome but hasn't been short of challenging moments.


I read this hilarious blog few months ago and have returned to it quite a few times.  If you're a mother, please read it.  The first time I read it I was in absolute hysterics!  She is SPOT ON!!  

I don't have three children, so I can't relate to everything this gal is talking about, but I can empathize with a few things.  I decided to keep track of my thoughts over the span of an hour as a little experiment.

Here's what I got as a result.  Welcome to my mornings.

5:00 a.m.  Why am I sweating?  I'm completely drenched.  Gross.  *snooze*

5:08 a.m.  Oh, I guess I'm not drenched.  My hair is still wet from the shower last night.  *snooze*

5:16 a.m.  Okay fine I'm up.  No I'm not.  Okay fine I am.

5:17 a.m.  (Reaches under sink for blow dryer)  Oh look, it's my flatiron.  I don't remember what it's like to have straightened hair.  I probably wouldn't even remember how to straighten it.  I should throw it away considering it's covered with a thick layer of dust.

5:20 a.m.  There is no way any amount of makeup can make me look good today.

5:26 a.m.  Okay, well, that's going to have to do.  Everyone at school must think I'm a total ragamuffin.  Oh geez look at my hair.  Yikes.  Must go see Kati soon.

5:27 a.m.  Must I take off this fluffy gray robe?  What if I just wore it to school?  How about yoga pants?  Maybe if I wear heels and a sparkly belt, no one would realize I have them on.

5:30 a.m.  I really like this blue shirt, I'll wear it to school.  I hope there's no spit-up on it.

5:34 a.m.  (Gets Jude from crib)  Ohhhh...... you are amazing.  Every single part of you is a miracle.  I couldn't love you more.

5:36 a.m. (as he nurses)  I am completely captivated by you.  I love being the one you need.  Can we stay here all day?  Let's stay right here all day long.  I can't believe how fast you're growing.

6:00 a.m. (as he wakes up and smiles)  Awwwww hellloooo, my widdle sweetheart, oh mama loves you sooooo much yes she does you widdle punkin face!  *kiss kiss kiss*  (Insert ridiculous gibberish nonsensical speech here)  *kiss kiss*.  Are you ready to see Daddy?  You just love Daddy don't you?

6:05 a.m.  I haven't had a pedicure in months.  My toes look like they've been chewed on by wild animals.  I'll wear these cute platform shoes; maybe no one will see my toenails because they're too busy admiring my cute shoes.

6:07 a.m. *trips over own feet*  Well, the cute shoes have to go.  I'll be in flats again I guess.  So much for being taller than my students.

6:10 a.m.  (burping Jude)  This child spits up so much, it's a wonder he is growing at all.  Oh no there's spit-up on the carpet.  Is it on my blue shirt?  I wonder if Tom likes this shirt.

6:17 a.m.  Tom, look!  If I suck my stomach in enough, this shirt makes me look almost like I'm at my pre-baby weight!  Can you tell?  You're not even looking.  LOOK!  Do you think I look skinnier if I stand like this?  I'm going to stand like this all day today.

6:20 a.m. (getting Jude dressed)  Awww look at how CUUUUUUTE you are, little loveybug!  You're my sweet loveybug!  Yes you are!  You look so cute in this shirt!  Do you think Daddy likes it?  Do you think Daddy can finish dressing you so Mommy can eat breakfast?

6:27 a.m. Tom, can you finish getting Jude dressed?  

6:30 a.m.  TOM!  Can you dress Jude please?

6:31 a.m.  Tom, did you hear me?

6:32 a.m.  TOM!!!!  GET IN HERE!

6:38 a.m.  This coffee tastes pretty good.  I hope I don't get the shakes from caffeine.  If I have a banana, will my blood sugar get too high too fast?  Probably.  Do I really care about that anymore?  No.  Should I?  Yeah...okay I'll eat some peanut butter with it.  We're all out.  Shoot.  Eggs?  No time.  What can I have with protein?  There's some babybel cheese in the fridge.  Hmmmm...cheese in the morning, gross.  If I eat it super fast I won't care so much.

6:40 a.m. How come the KIMT daybreak anchors always look so awake and happy?  I envy this.  Tyler Roney is an excellent weatherman.  I haven't watched TV in forever.  Someone recommended a TV show to me and I had to just laugh...there is no time for such things.  A show to commit yourself to watching each week?  That sounds like my former life.

6:45 a.m.  My stomach feels better now.  I could eat another banana.

6:48 a.m.  What am I going to bring for lunch today?  I have to go get Jude's milk out of the freezer.  (in the garage) OUCH, DANG IT!!!!!  Must sweep garage...or, must wear shoes when I walk in the garage.

6:50 a.m.  How on earth is it already almost 7:00?  I should just start pulling all-nighters to make sure everything gets done before 7.  I cannot accomplish it all otherwise.

7:00 a.m.  Where the heck did I put my iPad??  Do I need my laptop today?  Where is my phone charger?  What's for supper tonight?  Crock pot BBQ chicken.  I forgot to buy root beer for the sauce.  Flavorless BBQ chicken it is.

7:03 a.m.  Tom, can you put Jude in his seat?  Here's his extra bottle.  I'll put a bib on him.

7:05 a.m.  (Jude spits up)  I didn't get the bib on him.  Shoot, sorry Tom.  I'll change him quick.

7:10 a.m.  Time to leave.  Goodbye baby prince, I love you sooooo much Mr. Cutieface! *kiss kiss kiss* I will miss you all day, yes I will honey!  Have fun at Millie's!  I can't wait to see you after school!  *kiss kiss*

7:15 a.m. I need at least 4 more arms to carry all this stuff to school.  I'll just use the bags under my eyes to carry some of it...there's plenty of room there.

7:20 a.m.  I'm finally on the road...okay, now it's time for positivity.  I'll just keep telling myself I look cute today.  How do the other teacher moms always look so cute all the time?  Slow clap for them.


Here's to continuous learning!  Sometimes my continuous learning is at my job.  Sometimes it's in marriage.  Sometimes it's in baby care.  I think right now, it's in EVERY aspect of life and it's all happening at the same time.

Wooooo hoo, what a ride!  :)

Love, Betsy





No comments:

Post a Comment