Wednesday, November 5, 2014

"You should be on The Voice"

I've heard it from several folks and it really is a nice thing to hear.  People are so, so kind.

You know me -- singing is what I do.  I love to perform.  It energizes me and it just feels "right."


And, I like to watch The Voice. (I must say though, Tom and I are behind on, um, 14 or so episodes.  We haven't even started watching this season and it's likely we never will.)  It's quality entertainment.  Even better is The Sing-Off.  I love the a capella groups...and I love Ben Folds.  He is intelligent and talented and funny.  I want to be related to him so he could play piano at family reunions and we could sing duets together.

Anyway.  

People have said I should sing on these shows.  But I disagree.  I respectfully disagree with each of them, and I would say no thanks to the opportunity to "be on The Voice."  Or Idol.  Or America's Got Talent.

But WHY?  Doesn't every performer want to be famous and rich, with platinum albums, sell-out crowds, tour buses, and lengthy riders full of ridiculous dressing room requirements?

No.  

And I'll tell you why.

1.  I want to own the music I write.
I've written a handful of songs.  If I were to sign under a record label and use them on an album, they would no longer be my own.  Something I put MY heart and soul into would no longer be MINE.  They'd be "owned" by the label.  That's not okay.

2.  I want to choose who I play and sing with.
My name is Betty, and I have three Gents.  They are my best friends and I can't imagine playing music with anyone else.  Period.


3.  I want to stay here.
Hollywood doesn't appeal.  Neither does New York City.  Let's go on a vacation or two, but don't make me live in either place.  The midwest is where it's at...I like to walk down the street and get a smile and a hello where I live.

4.  I don't have a big voice.
I don't sing "big"...and I don't want to.  Stretching my range to fit the famous-female-singer expectation (think Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood) would be pretty unhealthy...my voice wasn't created to reach those notes.

5.  I have a family.

If I were to go somewhere and "make it big" (I really don't like that phraseology btw) in music, I could kiss my precious family life away.  The thought makes me shudder.


6.  I'm already famous...because I am a music teacher.
It's the best kind of "fame" -- I walk into my school building and get surrounded by squealing 6-year-olds and mauled by their hugs.  Coming back from maternity leave was comparable to being a victim of an elephant stampede.  The kids are my "fans" -- and I am THEIR biggest fan.  They're my perfect singers and I am their teacher.

And now I'll go back to listening to Coldplay and being grateful for their talent, and thankful I'm not in their shoes.  :)

Love, Betsy

1 comment: